21 September 2010

Burwash Landing - Yukon Territory

21 Sep 2010.  Made a pit stop at Burwash Landing, a small (think Sutherland) resort type stop on Kluane Lake along the Alaska Highway in the Yukon.  It was entertaining to hear Austin try to explain the term "Hot Wheels" to the cute little Québécois that worked in the gift shop.  My favorite part, however, was the old boat that lay down by the shore of the lake.  I told Kjaristy that like Sam McGee of Tennessee, I would like to be cremated here.  GPS Coordinates - N61 21.463 W138 59.827


Till I came to the marge of Lake Lebarge, and a derelict there lay;
It was jammed in the ice, but I saw in a trice it was called the “Alice May.”
And I looked at it, and I thought a bit, and I looked at my frozen chum;
Then “Here,” said I, with a sudden cry, “is my cre-ma-tor-eum.”
-From The Cremation of Sam McGee by Robert W. Service
Brett and the derelict "Alice May"

Kj and the boys on the shore of Kluane Lake at Burwash Landing

No comments:

Post a Comment